Sunday, March 3, 2013

Wreck-It Ralph

I enjoy animation movies. They very rarely disappoint and I like the idea games and toys able to take on a life of their own "after hours" when the grown ups go to bed. So when I saw Wreck-It Ralph as the movie on plane home from Dallas I was pumped.

Wreck-it Ralph (John C. Reilly) is the bad guy from "Fix it Felix Jr", a thirty-year-old arcade game similar to the old Donkey Kong and Mario arcade game. Ralph is sick of being a villain and enters the game "Hero's Duty" in an attempt to win a medal and gain some respect. An encounter with Vanellope (Sarah Silverman) from kid-friendly cart game "Sugar Rush" (Kind of like Mario Kart) helps him find respect and redemption.

I was a total Ninteno/Saga geek growing up. I got a chuckle at the cameos by some characters of the past including Sonic and Dr. Robotnik, Ken, Ryu, Bison, Zangrief and Bowser. They were intertwined into the script perfectly. Small things like un locking the vault "memory" safe using the code up,up,down,down,left,right, left right from the old Contra game had me grinning in my middle seat on the airplane. 

It's really a well done movie and I was actually really impressed with Sarah Silvermans voice. I had to look up who played the voice of the 8 year old girl in the film. Low and behold..it was her. 

If you liked Toy Story and played any video games circa 1990 you will love Wreck-It Ralph.

Oh Yea and Jane Lynch plays Sergeant Calhoun in the film..kinda hot in a animated sort of way.

1-10: 8

SRC




No comments:

Post a Comment