Saturday, December 15, 2012

TED

From the man who brought the Family Guy into our home on a weekly basis, Seth Macfarlane brings Ted to the big screen. Ted came out on DVD on Tuesday this week and I had been kicking myself for missing this in the theater for months. Needless to say, I was excited about.

The premise of the movie starts with a young boy who doesn't have any friends and after getting a teddy bear on Christmas morning makes a wish to make him come alive so he will have a best friend forever. Well, wouldn't you know it, it does. A clever montage takes the audience from the youth of the little boy into a full grown Marky Mark and Ted in the deeper Seth Macfarlane voice we have grown to love in Peter Griffin from family guy. Mark Walberg's live in girlfriend is Mila Kunis in the film and looks very good and also has a dry humor I can appreciate.

The first half of the movie lays out some of the funniest clips I have seen in a long time. A scene in which Ted buys some "mind rape" flavored marijuana in which he chooses over "Gorilla panic" and "permanent damage" had me falling off the couch.

I understand the movie needs some substance and has to outline a plot to take you from beginning to end, but the second half of the film didn't do it for me. I felt like it got too romantic. I also felt the injection of Giovanni Ribisi (Saving Private Ryan, Boiler Room) who although does a good job as a villain, wasn't a necessary piece needed in the film.

All in all, I did like it. The first half of the movie makes up for the second and I whenever you can laugh out loud that hard, it's good for the soul!

Improvements: A movie that funny doesn't need to get that serious. Keep it light...like Dumb and Dumber

1-10: 6


SRC


No comments:

Post a Comment