Sunday, January 20, 2013

Life Of Pi

My hunt continued this week to complete the 2013 best picture nominations. Life of Pi has been out in theaters for a long time and I found the time to catch a 7:15 showing in Bridgeport mid-week. All I had heard about the movie was how beautiful the film was shot by director Ang Lee ( Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon / Brokeback Mountain). I am not much of a reader and I know this was a popular book, but I would been experiencing this tale for the first time time on the big screen.

Pi Patel is a French- Indian boy whose family is moving their zoo animals from India to Canada when a storm sinks their freighter. The only survivors are Pi, a hyena, a zebra, and a tiger named Richard Parker, who find themselves in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. Though the plot sounds quite basic, the movie itself has many layers. The surviving animals stranded on the boat with Pi are not hokey or "Disney" looking by any means. They are not pales and are not singing songs with each other during the quest for survival.  It's a true survival story at sea..with an angry Tiger.

 Ang Lee does an amazing job bringing this story to life on the big screen. His use of color and ability to make the animals look so real are pretty sweet. Ang Lee or Life of Pi should win something for this. I mean some scenes in this movie are absolutely beautiful. Like a piece of art. It also has a deep spiritual vibe to it. I feel like I need to get more in touch with my inner Zen. I think I need to go to Bali.


Improvements: I did feel like some of the transitions were a little slow and by the end it did feel long.

1-10: 9

SRC





No comments:

Post a Comment