Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Three Stooges

The Farrelly Brothers who brought us Dumb and Dumber, Something about Mary and Shallow Hal take a stab at the classic comedy trio of The Three Stooges. I waited for this to debut on HBO before checking it out. I had it save on my DVR for a week and decided to watch it around 10:00pm on Wednesday night. It was the perfect slot and time to watch it.

Moe, Larry and Curly are left on the steps of an Orphanage as babies and remain un-adopted and grow into men amongst a group of Nuns. Well sort of men. After years of finical woes the orphanage has used up it's last dime and is being forced to closed unless they can muster up close to a million dollars to pay off the debt. To get the money to save the orphanage, the Stooges are offered a job to kill Mac (Craig Bierko) pretend husband of Lydia (Sophia Vergara), who is said to have a fatal disease and wants to go out on his own terms. Of course, it is Teddy (Kirby Heybourne) who will be the real victim/husband of Lydia who is married to Teddy and who wants Teddy's money. If you have followed this so far you just know all will go wrong. 

Hey, it's a comedy and the jokes keep flying from start to finish  It had that Dumb and Dumber feel to it and I couldn't help but laugh out loud a few times throughout the movie. Larry David plays one of the head Nuns the stooges seem to always terrify with their stupidity. He is absolutely fantastic. Every time David was onscreen, I couldn't help but cracking up. If you have HBO, throw it on and let me know what you think. I for one thought it felt like a breathe of fresh air. 

Improvements: I thought they miscast Larry (Sean Hayes, Will & Grace). He didn't do it for me.

1-10: 8

SRC


No comments:

Post a Comment